Saturday, October 27, 2007

When in Rome...

August 24, 2007

Shabbat starts when the sun goes down every Friday evening. People in Israel take this day of rest very seriously. Intrinsically, life stands still until the sun goes down the next evening. You learn quickly to go to the grocery store before Friday night and not to plan trips during. You're forced to "do as the Romans do" in a manner of speaking.

Tonight begins Shabbat. The streets are relatively quiet; as are the dorms. Us in rooms D-29-32 are getting together to have a traditional Shabbat dinner. We'll make a delicious meal, break bread, pour the wine, and sit back to enjoy the day of rest.

Really, I'm glad the country forces it on us. Back home I was subject to Shabbat every week without fail and it really was a good experience. After a long week of hectic schedules and life's problems my whole family (including my grandmother, best friend, and sister's boyfriend) would sit down to a quiet meal and enjoy each other's fellowship. It was an unspoken rule not to bring the troubles of the week to the table. It was a meal meant to be enjoyed without interruption. A day to forget everything and just rest.

I can understand why so many people fall in love with this country. I can also understand why so many love it from a distance. It takes a lot of courage and will-power to live here. It's a hard life. The political pressure, the cultural pressure, the religious pressure. You get it from everywhere. Not to mention the climate. I never realized that the weather can effect how productive you are. When it's ridiculously hot and humid outside I don't want to go out... or do anything for that matter.

The smell is drifting over. I'm taking my leave to stuff my face.

No comments: