Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Magical Feel of Yaffo

August 23, 2007

There's something about Yaffo that makes me feel as if I fell down Alice's rabbit hole; into a magical world full of magical people. I remember walking to and from Dugit last year just enjoying the sights and observing the people. Its buildings are so old; as though they were taken straight out of an old black and white film from the 40's.

IMG_6369

Tonight I walked through the market in the old part of Yaffo, taking in the sights and capturing what I could of the buildings. I need to go back and take pictures of just the people. I'm so bad about getting great pictures of scenery and not focusing on the people. It's good, though, to go by themes. So, my theme tonight will be buildings.

IMG_6373IMG_6381 IMG_6387IMG_6391

After the wonderful market closed Stella and I met up with another girl from my Ulpan class and we went to one of her friends' bars and just sat and talked for a good hour and a half. When the beers were drank and the conversation lulled Stella and I decided to take our leave. We must not have been thinking clearly because we had the bright idea of walking back to the university since the buses had stopped running and cabs were expensive. So, we went from Rechov Allenby to the university... on foot. It took us a good two hours of walking to get to the dorms. It was good though! We can now say we walked from Allenby to the university. How many people can say that? Not many, I'm sure.

Well, once we arrived at the dorms I immediately changed out of my now-stinky clothes and sat down to write this lovely musing.

IMG_6380

No comments: